Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday's Tips

Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
and
Freezer Cooking

So many of the recipes I make call for cream of something soup, which I've yet to find at a price that I'm willing to shell out for to stock-up. It's usually one of those, I'm out of it, gotta have it things!

Today, I had a craving for Chicken and Rice Casserole, but no cream of chicken and no desire to leave the house. It's cold, and I'm still getting over being sick!

So I remembered seeing something about making your own cream of chicken soup recently, and decided to look it up! I just happened to have all of the ingredients on hand.

The main ingredient- chicken broth- is something that I regularly find GREAT deals on! (See this week's Publix deals- ending today though!)

Go here to see the recipe that I used. I found that I had to add LOTS more spices to get much flavor (since the can's of broth didn't have any), and I should've whisked the flour/milk mixture MUCH more! I ended up having to get out the beaters to get the clumps out! Mine looked much more like actual cream of chicken than the picture with with recipe!

I made a double batch and used some to make chicken and rice casserole (double batch of that too, one of which went in the freezer!). Then I waited for the rest to cool some, and ladled it into a muffin tin. It's currently freezing in the muffin tin, then I'll pop it out, and store in ziplock bags in the freezer for easy use later on!

I'm really working on preparing more food at once and freezing portions to use later. I learned a hard lesson being sick this last week and not having ANY prepared meals on hand for the husband to eat while I ate Ramen noodles all week! It wasn't until Thurs. that I felt good enough to make homemade chicken soup, which I much prefer! Several portions of that are in the freezer now too!

So now I have chicken soup, chicken and rice casserole and cream of chicken soup all ready to go in the freezer!

I plan on doing this a lot more, and so as I do, I'm planning to share tips here too!

Please comment if you have any ideas/recipes for freezer cooking! I'm looking for more ideas that use basic ingredients!


~Stacey of Daisy's Deals~



Please email me for questions, suggestions, and anything else at daisysdeals (at) hotmail (dot) com. As I begin this journey, please bear with me as I am still learning myself! If you see anything that you feel is inappropriate or against store/website policies please "politely" let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment